Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Best@Bannack

"Come home soon" * 5/25/2011 – 11:29 AM * Bannack, Montana: Saloon * f/4.5 * 1/250 * Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT * I took this photo in the saloon and tried to use the natural light to light up her face. It was really dark on her right side so I took it into Camera Raw and decreased the exposure and added a drastic vignette to help the eye focus on her stomach. 

"Hands hold tightly" * 5/25/2011 – 11:29 AM * Bannack, Montana: Saloon * f/5.6 * 1/500 * Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT * I zoomed in to get this photo while taking the picture above. I got a few with her hands in different places but liked this one the most because the hands tell a great story. The background was already black because of the lighting in the room so I didn't have to edit that.The only real edit I made using a adjustment brush in Camera Raw on her ring because it was a little too dark. Then I used the shapes and minus tool to text wrap the quote . I thought it would even more powerful to add the quote in there.
"Etched History" * 5/25/2011 – 2:07 AM * Bannack, Montana * f/5.6 * 1/25 * Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT * I took a picture of this Bannack sign and put a picture of the wall in the jail over it. I decreased the opacity and used overlay as the blending mode. I had to rotate the wall of the jail because I felt like it would help with the alignment of the letters.

"Crooked" * 5/25/2011 – 2:51 PM * Bannack, Montana * f/4.5 * 1/400 * Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT * The doors were already crooked on this shot but I liked the layering of the doors that was naturally created. I didn't even have to tilt my camera to show the tilt! I brought it into camera raw and decreased the exposure so I could darken the inside of the house. Then I increased the saturation which added those yellows and rust colors.

"Cast your pearls" * 5/25/2011 – 5:15 PM * Bannack, Montana * f/5.6 * 1/15 * Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT * This picture really tuned out great, raw. I hung the pearls on the door and they were really long so I tied them in a knot. Then, I tilted the camera to bring more of an angle. For editing--all I did was pull it into photo shop and added more blur using the gaussian blur filter and masked out the pearls.

"Alice's Door" * 5/25/2011 – 2:17 PM * Bannack, Montana * f/4.5 * 1/15 * Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT * It was really dark in this room so I had to adjust my shutter speed a little bit. I caught a little natural light coming in on the door. I focused on the pink door and the door in front of it became less of a focus. I brought it into Camera Raw and increased the saturation and lighten the exposure. Then, I brought it into photo shop and brought in more saturation but masked out everything but the pink door.

"The door is always open" * 5/25/2011 – 5:01 PM * Bannack, Montana * f/4.0 * 1/160 * Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT * This was really bright at first so I used spot metering to adjust the exposure compensation. When I brought it into photo shop and changed it to black and white, it looked a little plain. So, I added a grain filter to make it look more authentic.

"Take one down, pass it around" * 5/25/2011 – 4:31 AM * Bannack, Montana: Saloon * f/4.0 * 1/10 * Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT * I really like all the contrast of imagery in this photo. The bottles are not aligned, they have shadows and they all have different levels of rootbeer. I took it into photoshop and decreased the exposure and changed it to sephia.
"The Long Walk Home" * 5/25/2011 – 11:59 AM * Bannack, Montana * f/4.0 * 1/800 * Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT * This is 4 different photos. I used photo merge in photoshop to stitch the photos together. There was hardly any room on the side so I cropped it and used content aware to get rid of a wheel barrel and add in some grass on the side. Then, I increased the saturation and it turned the house, red. I masked out everything but the door and the grass to keep the red in there.

1 comment:

  1. Mallory, I really like your photo titled, "Come Home Soon". The colors and the lighting are fantastic. I also like that you included the lighting source in the picture. I helps bring contrast to the picture. Yes you may have used camera raw to fix some things but you used it well. By adding some light and a vignette you gave both a focus on her stomach and an old feeling respectively. Fantastic work.
    Daniel Ard

    ReplyDelete

How about some constructive criticism?